The University of Arizona's Center for Middle Eastern Studies (CMES) has established Outreach Scholarships at the UA in the amount of $250.
Graduate or undergraduate students at the University of Arizona are eligible to apply. You do NOT have to be a U.S. citizen. Priority will be given to students with in-depth and personal experience in the Middle East and who have a language ability commensurate with native speakers. Successful candidates will demonstrate good character, well-rounded interests, and interest in community involvement. Qualified candidates for the awards will be determined by the Outreach Scholarship Committee at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies.
During the period of the scholarship, outreach scholars will participate in two speaking engagements in the community in response to requests from community groups, such as service organizations, religious groups, local government organizations, and schools, and in programs organized by CMES.
This scholarship is made possible through the generosity of Gerald and LaDona Geise, Dr. Entisar "Vivi" Sabbagh, and additional anonymous donors. To donate, visit Support CMES.
How to Apply
To qualify for the program you must:
- Have in-depth and personal experience in the Middle East and a Middle Eastern language ability commensurate with native speakers.
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Arizona.
- Attend the University of Arizona during the entire 2020-2021 academic year.
- Note: As of this year, former Outreach Scholars are also invited to apply again!
- The application must be received by CMES (via email) by Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
The online application includes a 300-word essay summarizing why you wish to be a CMES Outreach Scholar.
For more information or questions, contact Associate Director Julie Ellison-Speight - email@example.com.