FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND AREA STUDIES (FLAS) COMPETITION
Title VI (US Department of Education) Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year (AY) and Summer fellowships are awarded annually in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish to undergraduate and graduate students at The University of Arizona in any program/department who are pursuing Middle Eastern language and area studies. Funding is provided by the International and Foreign Language Education (IFLE) office of the U.S. Department of Education and awards are made through CMES.
2023-24 FLAS Information Session
Please check our calendar for upcoming FLAS information sessions.
Please note the first information session for the upcoming summer 2023 FLAS and, pending funding, academic year 2023-24 FLAS will be on Wednesday, December 14th at 2PM via Zoom.
Link will be put up shortly.
How to Apply
FLAS applications will be done through a Qualtrics link for all UA students. The application links are provided below.
APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: February 15, 2023 at 5PM Arizona time.
As soon as you start applying for a Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship (whether summer 2023, or academic year 2023-24) please fill out the recommender survey. Click here to submit the information. Please note, before submitting recommender's information, make sure to secure their agreement.
CMES Staff highly recommend one of the three program options for your summer FLAS application be a virtual program as a back-up.
Students should prepare the following components and follow the link to the intended program application at the bottom of this page.
- Two references (Submit reference contact information to the Recommender Survey)
- Unofficial transcripts - please scan all your transcripts into one pdf file and upload the the single pdf in the application. Please name the file LastName_Transcripts
- Statement(s) of Purpose - please name the file LastName_Statement. Please include the application type in the name (e.g. for undergraduate academic year: LastName_UGStatement)\
- Your statement of purpose should be tailored to the program that you seek funding for.
- CV/resume -please name the file LastName_CV
- Certificate of Eligibility. Please download the certificate. Sign the form, and upload it with your completed application. Please name the file LastName_Eligibility
- A completed FAFSA on file with the University of Arizona is required to apply to FLAS