CMES is pleased to offer an Arizona in Turkey Virtual Summer 2020 Program. This online summer Turkish program for second and third year Turkish will begin on June 8th and finish on July 31st. It will include 140 contact hours. There will be virtual cultural activities which will possibility include a cooking lesson, a lecture on history, where students can interact and ask questions, etc. More details to be announced. Please go to the UA Study Abroad webpage for the application. https://global.arizona.edu/study-abroad/program/arizona-turkey-virtual
*The in-person Arizona in Turkey 2020 summer program has been cancelled* (Information below this line applies to the cancelled in-person Arizona in Turkey program - please disregard).
The program begins with a 3-day intensive orientation held in Istanbul, after which students begin their Turkish classes. In addition to the coursework, students participate in several academic excursions to regional sites. One of the excursions is to Izmir. Izmir is located on the Aegean coast, it is the third largest city in Turkey boasting a population of approximately three million.
Weekly activities in Istanbul help students integrate culture and language learning.
Arizona in Turkey is open to undergraduate and graduate students from the University of Arizona and other universities in the US and abroad.
Students can earn University of Arizona credit for Turkish language coursework.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 25, 2020
SUMMER 2020 DATES: Mid June 2020- Mid August 2020
Course options may include:
- TURK 401/2 Intermediate Turkish (I & II)
- TURK 403/4 Advanced Turkish (I & II)**
*students take a placement test upon arrival and are placed into classes accordingly
**may be taken as TURK503/504 (graduate credit) with prior approval of program director
What's included in program cost (price approximately $9500)?
- Course tuition
- Housing (price varies depending on selection)
- Accommodation during overnight excursions (double or triple)
- Partial board during excursions (2 meals per day) - this item will probably change and the price will be adjusted accordingly
- Turkish mobile phone and SIM card (mobile plan not included)
- In-country travel associated with program activities
What's not included?
- Airfare to and from Istanbul
- Passport and visa costs
- Mobile plan for phone
- Course books* and associated materials (ie dictionaries)
- Most meals when in Izmir**
- Transportation costs to and from language classes
**Meal costs vary depending on housing selection.
For questions about the program, please contact:
Arizona in Turkey program director, CMES