THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR THE 2017 SUMMER PROGRAM IS JANUARY 17, 2017.
Please see the 2017 application below updated on November 2, 2016.
Project GO at the University of Arizona offers 10 funded summer scholarships for ROTC students in good standing from any university to study Arabic at UA in Tucson. UA's School of Middle East and North African Studies (MENAS) runs the summer Arabic program, which goes from June 5, 2017 to August 9, 2017. There is a short 3-day class break between sessions from July 7-9.
Courses are offered in Modern Standard Arabic for first year, second year, and third year students of Arabic. There is personal tutoring for each student participating in this program. Students are also paired with a language partner from the Middle East to offer additional practice in oral acquisition. In addition to language classes, the program offers weekly film screenings, cultural activities, and outings.
- First year Modern Standard Arabic
- Second year Modern Standard Arabic
- Third year Modern Standard Arabic
The following expenses related to summer Arabic at UA are covered by Project GO scholarships:
- Lodging in a UA dorm* ($1440)
- Meal stipend ($900)
- Travel expenses for non-UA students ($450 max)
- Book stipend ($75)
- Cultural activities
- Transfer between the Tucson airport and UA campus upon arrival/departure
- Health Insurance (if not already provided by home institution)
The following expenses related to summer Arabic at UA are not covered by Project GO scholarships:
- $65 non-degree seeking registration fee
- Parking on UA campus
- Non-program related activities
*Students who do not wish to reside in a dorm may petition to receive a housing stipend to cover off-campus housing.
For questions about Project GO, please email us or call (520) 621-0298.
All images courtesy of Mohamed Ansary, Summer 2015.