CMES Internship/ Research Funding - updated and extended to Wednesday, April 1st
Many valuable internship/research opportunities for students are unpaid or provide minimal financial support. CMES is pleased to offer internship/research funding to undergraduate and graduate students in good standing for internships or research experiences related to Middle Eastern or North African studies in affiliation with a research institute or institution of higher education (IHE). These awards may be used for internships/ research experiences in the United States or online, but may not support conventional study abroad programs. Please note the award has been updated to reflect the current travel situation this summer. If your Middle East Studies related internship/ research experience overseas can be moved to an online internship/research experience, please consider doing so.
- Currently enrolled University of Arizona juniors, seniors, and graduate students
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Amount: $1000 (possibly up to $2000)
- Can be used during summer 2020
- For use in US pending UA travel approval
- Internship/ research experience must be a minimum of 6 weeks or 100 hours in length.
- Internship/ research experience must be related to the applicant’s academic/career goals.
- Awards contingent upon:
- Approval of the internship/ research experience if you are seeking formal credit by your home department. Please check with your department for specific internship/ research guidelines and application procedures. An approval letter from the department must be submitted to CMES before the internship/research support funds can be awarded.
- Student’s acceptance to the Middle East-related internship/ or letter of academic affiliation with a research institute or IHE, in the US or abroad, that is in the CMES award letter. A copy of the official letter/email of acceptance must be submitted to CMES before the internship/ research experience support funds can be awarded.
- For internships outside Tucson ( at this time only domestic travel is being considered for summer 2020), awardees must complete and submit a UA Travel Authorization Form. While this travel process is now on-line, CMES would like a digital copy of the pdf (signed by your department head and sent with your digital application). Please also note that CMES is still waiting on final decisions regarding summer 2020 domestic travel.
Those with an internship/ research experience outside of the United States must also register through the UA International Travel Registry. If your destination has a Travel Warning issued by the U.S. State Department, you must also complete the “Supplemental Travel Authorization” section of the registration. In such cases, the award cannot be processed without UA approval. Check current Travel Warnings at: http://travel.state.gov.Please note that international travel by UA students for May and June 2020 is not permitted because of COVID 19.
Students who receive a CMES internship/ research experience award will be required, upon their return, to
- Submit a report (maximum 2 pages) detailing how the internship/research experience will further your career/studies goals. Due date is two months after the end of the internship/ research period.
- Submit 2-5 digital photos (png or jpeg format) of the experience.
- Make a short presentation for other students about their internship/ research experience.
Application packet should include:
- CMES internship/ research experience funding application (typed)
- Copy of internship/ research experience application and materials submitted to home department.
- Statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) explaining how this Middle East/North African studies-related internship/ research experience will further your career/studies goals
- Unofficial transcripts, if not already included in number 2 above
- Copy of the internship details (from the program’s website or other source) or the research proposal abstract and document of academic affiliation, including location, program description, dates of program
- One letter of recommendation from an academic advisor or faculty member
- Estimated budget (travel, lodging, living expenses), including any funds provided by the internship/ research organization
A hard copy of all materials must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, March 25, 2020. Please note that the deadline has been extended till Wednesday, April 1, 2020 and the materials can now be sent in via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: CMES Associate Director Julie Ellison-Speight, (520) 621-8079, email@example.com
Other Sources of Internships
Some organizations do not have the full details of their internships online, or they may offer them sporadically. Students must confirm that the internships fit both departmental and CMES funding requirements.
Some individual faculty may accept students for work on research projects (e.g., Ramzi Touchan).
*CMES does not guarantee these internships/ research experiences will meet the requirements of individual UA departments, or that they will continue to meet CMES funding requirements. It is the student's responsibility to check all internship/ research details before applying.