Update: The Academic Year 23-24 and the Summer 2023 FLAS deadlines will now be Wednesday, February 15th 2023 at 5PM Arizona time. All parts of each FLAS application are due on or before the deadline including the letters of recommendation.
As soon as you start applying for a Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship (whether summer 2023, or academic year 2023-24) please fill out the recommender survey. Click here to submit the information. Please note, before submitting recommender's information, make sure to secure their agreement.
CMES Staff highly recommend one of the three program options for your summer FLAS application be a virtual program as a back-up.
FLAS applications will be done through a Qualtrics link for all UA students. Please note the surveys will go live very shortly. Check back soon if they are not already active.
For UA CMES FLAS Graduate Academic Year 2023-2024 applications for current UA and incoming students, click here.
For UA CMES FLAS Undergraduate Academic Year 2023-2024 applications for current UA and incoming students, click here.
For UA CMES FLAS Summer 2023 applications for current UA students, click here.
Please know if your application is coming in later, you should immediately do the top survey regarding recommenders and note that you will also need to include their information in your full FLAS application.
Please remember to tailor your statements according to the semesters for which you are seeking FLAS funding. (Summer or Academic Year).
You must have a FAFSA on file at the University of Arizona to apply. Having a FAFSA on file does not mean you have to take a loan. This requirement is a federal requirement to be eligible for a FLAS fellowship.
All UA Applicants will need to upload the following into the Qualtrics system:
1. Application - Please note you are required to have filled out FAFSA to apply for this fellowship.
2. Unofficial transcripts - please scan all your transcripts into one pdf file and upload the the single pdf in the application. Please name the file LastName_Transcripts.
3. Statement(s) of Purpose - please name the file LastName_Statement (The naming of the statement file will vary slightly application to application, e.g. for undergraduate academic year applicant's the file should be LastName_UGStatement
4. CV/resume -please name the file LastName_CV
5. Certificate of Eligibility. Please download the certificate here. Sign the form, and upload it with your completed application. Please name the file LastName_Eligibility
You will be asked for names/email addresses of referrees in the application. Please have them ready when you submit the online application or do the recommender survey above. The qualtrics link for Confidential Recommendation Letters (CRLs) will be sent as your recommender survey or application comes in. Do not wait until the last minute. Please give your recommenders ample time to submit your recommendation. Now, October 2021 is a great time to begin asking.