The University of Arizona Center for Middle Eastern Studies and Center for Latin American Studies
Dates/times: Friday, January 22, 4:00 pm – Sunday, January 24, 11:00 am
Cost: $25 ($10 for UA Education students). Includes all programs + some meals (Friday night dinner, Saturday and Sunday breakfast, Saturday lunch).
(Make checks payable to: University of Arizona. Send - postmark by Jan. 15 - to Exploring Identities Workshop, CMES, 845 N. Park Ave., #470, Tucson, AZ 85721.)
Schedule and Contact Information
Friday, January 22:
4:00 – 4:30 pm: Participants sign in. Integrated Learning Center, Rm. 150.
4:30 – 5:30 pm: Keynote Address: Theresa Alfaro-Velcamp “So Far from Allah, So
Close to Mexico: Arab Immigrants in Mexico.” Location: ILC 150. For more information, click here
Note: The keynote address is free and open to the public; other activities (sessions, meals) are only for educators who are registered for the workshop.
6:30 – 7:00 pm: Participant introductions. Gentle Ben's Restuarant.
7:00 – 8:30: Welcoming dinner – opportunity for getting acquainted. Gentle Ben's Restaurant.
Saturday, January 23: location - Social Sciences 222
9:00 – 10:30: Panel on Ethnic Identities
- Amir Telibećirović – Bosnian Muslims: An “Ethnic” Group?
- Adnan Yilmaz - Education of Ethnic Minorities in Turkey
- Dr. Linda Green – Indigenous Peoples of Latin America
10:45 – 12:15: Film “Falafelism” (about Palestinian-Israeli cultural sharing through film).
- Discussant: Dr. Amy Newhall
12:15 – 1:15 Lunch
1:15 – 2:45: Panel on Gender and Sexual Identities
- Dr. David Gramling – Homonationalism and the Queer Stammtisch in 21st-century Berlin
- Dr. Anne Betteridge – Diverse Identities of Middle Eastern Women
- Dr. Jadwiga Pieper Mooney – Latin American Feminist Identities and Activism
3:00 – 4:30: Panel on Religious Identities
- Dr. David Graizbord – Modern Jewish Identities
- Dr. Maha Nassar – The Many Faces of Muslim-Americans
- Dr. Alex Nava – Catholicism and Hip Hop in Latin America
4:45 – 6:00: Interactive Latin American Music presentation/activity.
- Chilean Guitarist Andres Pantoja
- Demonstration of Brazilian Capoeira - Aquil Joel Hameed and friends from Axe Capoeira of Tucson
Sunday, January 24 - for college educators only: location - Marshall 490
9:00 – 11:00: From Theory into Practice (planning for the development of curricular materials and the organization of a project website for educators)
Co-Sponsored by the UA Confluencecenter for Creative Inquiry and the Department of History.
To apply for funding for community college educatiors fill out the application attached here.