Arizona in Turkey information session:
Tuesday, November 18
10-11am in the CMES Library (Marshall 476)
UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA'S FIRST STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM IN TURKEY
The Arizona in Turkey program is an eight-week summer program based in Izmir, Turkey. Izmir, located on the Aegean coast, is the third largest city in Turkey boasting a population of approximately three million.
Arizona in Turkey courses are held on the campus of Dokuz Eylül University, one of Turkey's most preeminent institutions of higher education. Founded in 1982, Dokuz Eylül University enrolls some 48,000 students. Classes are taught by a combination of University of Arizona and Dokuz Eylül University faculty. Students choose from three housing options: homestay with a Turkish familiy, shared dorm with Turkish students, or single rooms in a private dorm.
The program begins with a 4-day intensive orientation held in Izmir, after which students begin their Turkish classes. In addition to the coursework, students participate in several academic excursions to regional sites. A longer 5-day midterm tour takes the students to Istanbul. Weekly activities in Izmir help students integrate culture and language learning.
Arizona in Turkey is open to undergraduate and graduate students from the University of Arizona and other universities in the US and abroad.
Students can earn University of Arizona credit for Turkish language coursework.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 15, 2015
SUMMER 2015 DATES: June 03 to July 29, 2015
Course options may include:
- TURK 101/102 Beginning Turkish (I & II)
- TURK 401/2 Intermediate Turkish (I & II)
- TURK 403/4 Advanced Turkish (I & II)**
*students take a placement test upon arrival and are placed into classes accordingly
**may be taken as TURK503/504 (graduate credit) with prior approval of program director
What's included in program cost (appx $6,800)?
- Course tuition
- Housing (price varies depending on selection)
- Accommodation during overnight excursions (double or triple)
- Partial board during excursions (2 meals per day)
- Turkish mobile phone and SIM card (mobile plan not included)
- In-country travel associated with program activities
- 20 hours of one-on-one practice with a local language partner
What's not included?
- Airfare to and from Izmir
- Passport and visa costs
- Mobile plan for phone
- Course books* and associated materials (ie dictionaries)
- Most meals when in Izmir**
- Transportation costs to and from language classes
*Textbook used is Yabancılar için Türkçe (Turkish for Foreigners) and is available for purchase on site.
**Meal costs vary depending on housing selection.
For questions about the program, please contact:
Arizona in Turkey program director, Ahmet Okal or
CMES Assistant Director, Christian Sinclair
For questions about study abroad and the application process, contact:
Middle East Study Abroad coordinator at the UA Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange, Hillary Vance.